I let it loose from the stables of slumber
black of hide but milky in the moonlight
unbridled it goes and unsaddled too
i clutch it’s dark mane but i can not reign it
amok it left
i let it whisper in the winds
as long as it comes home,before the stables of slumber are bolted
before i am rattled awake from this dream
gif source – Tumblr.com
a mind like
of my child
a vast bubbling spring of unmuddled thoughts
a garden teeming with originality and innocence
an unbounded space
full of bold shining lights
lights of perpetual hope
thats a mind like
of my child
Plant a seed, shall i ?
Even though i dont know ….
Who will water it ?
Who will weed it ?
Who will keep the soil alive ?
Who will keep the encroachment away ?
But belief, i have , that ….
Someone , some day, will find solace in it’s shade
Someone, some day,will pick the rich fruits
Someone, some day, will make it their secret hideout
Someone,some day, will holds hands on it’s branches and make eternal promises of love
Plant a seed, i will !
On the belief that someone,someday, will plant another seed
— image via Tumblr
Prepare well for delivering good news
Prepare even better for delivering bad news….
business objective driven
no blame but solutions
evidence X 3
the dweller of ravines that never bore an offspring and of fertile plains too
perched inside me are the deserts in glove with stifling humid rains
my facade stretched between prescribed faith & mendicant ways,
equally lured towards obscurity and bling fame
my acts are celibate as the temple purohit and excessing too,
like the dope czar
I’m in perpetual flux,
staticity is lost
like unripe figs seemingly sweet,
but with everlasting bitter taste
When ,maintaining convenient “relationships” triumphs over doing the right things
Value of your project loses
The Team’s vision and purpose loses
You deliver status quo dressed as comfy fluff
I take them pills
of those before I bathe
I wash them down with vodka
I have always taken a bath before bed,
as far as I remember
I have to let you know that I only remember as far as the last pills
The bath is at the end,
of the hallway
Dimly lit it is
intentional,by design it is
Only a yellow feeble bulb serves it
hanging by the chord
I pull it
It is hazy
Like those corny drinking places
The haze surrounds me
It has settled on the walls
It perches on the rose window
Its layers the mirrors
I take a dip
There are doodles drawn on the haze,
on the mirror
I study them
It soothes me
The hot water
the pills (with vodka that i used to wash them down),
i’m not sure
but i feel at home in my bath
I continue studying the doodles
Image via Tumblr
These are some cultural behaviours & artefacts that I have learnt to value over the past decade working in the Software development industry.
I use them as feelers to measure how dysfunctional(or efficient) a particular Team or team leader is and what could possibly be done about it ?
I also use them to keep myself and my organisation honest !
How would you answer these questions from your experience in your current team &/ organisation ?
- what do you hear more ? “I have never tested this before, this is not my area of code” vs “Lets give it a go…I will go & find out”
- do you get together often to celebrate success ?
- do you get together often to self reflect on failure ?
- is the “box” questioned ?
- does everyone in the team knows “WHY we are doing this project ?”
- do you reward knowledge sharing ?
- do people feel loved back ?
- do people pair ?
- do people crowd around critical problems?
- do people often palm off problems to “experts” ?
- do people take responsibility only when it is mandated?
- can people say no ?
- do people say no ?
- are they heard ?
- do peers recognise peers publicly ?
- how are bug escapes reacted to ?
- is accountability executed or individuals ?
- what were we doing last year ? what are we doing this year ? do I know what will I be doing next year ? do you ask this often ? do the Team ask this often ?
- do people pursue problems ?
- do you slow down to be able to speed up later ?
- do you run capability projects ?
- are people efficient at eating mammoths ?
- do you get more opportunities to fail ? (after a failure)
- do general facilities get better with hierarchy?
- do you have a training budget ?
- do you have an entertainment budget ?
- are jerks allowed ?
P.S. This post is inspired from Lou Gerstner’s (the legendary IBM CEO) quote….
“I came to see in my time at IBM that culture isn’t just one aspect of the game – it is the game. In the end an organisation is nothing more than the collective capacity of its people to create value.”
from those faux walls
out on a stroll
had lost his way
and met the sea
talked in awe
“i had heard ”
“now i see what others saw”
“you should come here often” , “more often”
“i’m here”, “i will be”
“in serenity and in a rage”
“a cage for all with gills”
“in all’s slumber and in waking them free”
“ferrying icebergs and fallen trees”
“i wish i loose my way” , “often” , “more often”
huddle the maximum allowed bureaucracy in the room
smattering of giant egoists & the types that feel threatened from anything apart from the normal
wheel in a feeble but budding & well intentioned new idea
pound it with polished & well articulated pseudo-intellectual ridicule & cynicism
(actually masking internal ego,insecurity & urge for turf control)
check if the feeble but budding & well intentioned new idea is still alive ?
yes ? continue pounding till nipped in bud ?
once confirmed …..ring the bell and usher in status quo
it has a different attire today and also masks it’s familiar old stench
talk up the status quo lobby , let them knit the wool of the warmth & reassurance of the normal.
like it ?
settle in …. feel cosy .
have an indecision